Clinical Psychologists are trained in psychological knowledge and specialise in providing mental health assessments, diagnoses and treatments. Psychologists provide a formulation that assists clients understanding about what is going on for them and why they were vulnerable to developing difficulties. This includes identifying why difficulties developed at this time and what maintains or causes the difficulties to continue. The first 1-2 sessions are about the formulation and understanding as well as identifying goals for therapy. A therapeutic treatment that resonates with the client is agreed on and the therapy is customised to our client’s specific requirements.
Appointments are typically one hour long and the number of sessions required for each client varies depending on the type of therapy and what is agreed between the therapist and client. EMDR therapy may involve longer sessions at times and group sessions are often one and a half hours duration.
Services are offered in Lower Hutt and Wellington and we provide:
- Individual Therapy for adolescents and adults
- Therapy for young people and their families
- Group therapy for adolescents or adults
- ACC sensitive claims assessments and therapy
Common presenting problems include:
- Depression and mood related problems
- Anxiety disorders (worries, panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder, health anxiety)
- Chronic Pain
- Trauma, post traumatic stress disorder
- Interpersonal and relationship difficulties including difficulties related to early attachment disruption
- Adjusting to stress, change or illness
- Work/life balance and professional burnout
- Life transitions (marriage, children, retirement)
- Adolescent changes and developing independence
- Navigating identity and gender issues
- For ACC clients: our services are provided free of charge, subject to claims being accepted by ACC.
- For Private clients: $160 including GST per 60 minute individual session.
- For Business or Corporate clients: please call Lyn to discuss.
- For Group therapy sessions: please call Lyn to discuss.
- Please pay by direct credit prior to your session (we will advise our bank details) or you can bring cash on the day.
- Please note that 48 hours notice is required for cancellations, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
If it sounds like we can assist from the information you have read please call or email us as we are happy to talk about our services and answer any questions you may have. We may be in session with clients, if you can’t get hold of us the best option is to email your phone number and let us know the best time to call you. If we are unable to assist we are more than happy to suggest other therapists or options for you.
Confidentiality: Confidentiality is essential when engaging in therapy. Clinical psychologists respect client’s confidentiality and would not discuss or disclose client information to others without first obtaining permission from our clients. There is one specific exception to this guideline; when a client or another person may be in imminent danger of harm.
Clinical Psychologists embody ethical guidelines outlined by the New Zealand Psychologists Board regulatory authority (download here).